I’ve been envisioning this heart decoration for quite a while. I was out walking my dogs last week and saw this stick that told me that it really wanted to be up on my wall with cute little hearts hanging from it. It was the push I needed to finally get it made, and I absolutely love how it turned out!
- Heart template(s) – all one size or multiple sizes
- Woven fabrics in as many colors and patterns as you like
- Sewing machine and basic sewing supplies
- Twine, string, yarn, etc to hang the decoration when finished and to thread the hearts onto
- Stick to hang the hearts from
- Stuffing material
- Needle with an eye large enough to thread your string through
- Optional: pinking shears
- Cut out paper heart templates in any size(s) that you want.
- I printed free clipart hearts in 2-4 inch sizes
- Plan out how many strings you want to hang and how many hearts you want on each.
- Cut out a variety of hearts from your chosen fabrics-cut 2 of each heart.
- Trim around the edges of the hearts with pinking shears to distress the edges and help prevent fraying.
- Group your hearts together for each string if you have specific ones you want together.
Sew the Hearts
- Stack the two sides of each heart with their wrong sides together and pin.
- Sew around the outer edges of each set with a 1/4″ seam allowance using a straight stitch. Leave a small opening on one side to insert stuffing making sure you backstitch at the beginning and end of the hole.
- Fill each heart with a small amount of stuffing.
- Pin along the hole.
- Sew the remaining section closed.
- If you have specific groups of hearts you want together, be sure to keep them in their groups or mark them with different colored pins.
- Lay all of your groups out to see if you like how everything looks. You can always sew more or rearrange them. Take a picture to help you remember the order if needed.
Get the Hanger Ready
- Take your twine, rope, or string and wrap and tie it around one end of your stick.
- Decide how long you want your hanger to be then wrap and tie the twine around the other side of the stick.
- Take the strings for your hearts and tie them equally spaced along the stick.
- Lay your hearts out as a guide to determine how long each string should be. Error on the side of too long.
String on Your Hearts
- Thread the string through your needle, then push the needle from top to bottom through each heart.
- Continue this same process until all of your hearts are strung.
- Tie off the end of each string and trim off any excess.
- If your string is thinner and the hearts slide down, tie a small knot at the bottom of each heart.