Valentine’s Day is coming up soon and I usually try to make some type of themed craft. I decided to go with some cute little heart bookmarks that sit nicely on the corner of your book. You can adjust the size to your preference, or even add some embroidery or vinyl to personalize it.
- Woven fabric in two colors or patterns
- Paper, pencil, and ruler for the template
- Sewing machine and basic sewing supplies
Make a Template
- Using a corner of a piece of paper, measure 3.5″ up on both edges and mark it on the paper.
- Lay a ruler across the corner and draw a line connecting your two edge measurements.
- Fold the paper in half at the corner creating a triangle.
- Measure 3.5″ up from the point along the fold and mark it on the paper.
- Draw a curve to connect the points on the folded edge and the outer edge. I used a cup to get a smooth curve, but you can freehand it if you prefer.
- Cut out the heart along the curved line.
- Open the heart template to see if you like the shape. I wanted the point to be lower and the outer edges to curve a bit more so I trimmed off a little more in those places.
Cut and Sew
- Cut out two hearts from each fabric using your template.
- Stack two hearts right sides together and pin.
- Sew with a 1/4″ seam allowance around the edges leaving a 1″-2″ opening for turning.
- Clip at the points and around the curves.
- Pull the fabric through the opening to turn it right side out.
- Fold the edges of the opening in and press them well.
- You are going to topstitch along the bumps of the heart. Mark on one heart with pins on either side where the edges begin to straighten.
- Set the other heart on top and mark the same points on it so that your topstitching will be the same on both hearts.
- Topstitch with a 1/8″ seam allowance between the two points on each heart. Press.
- Place two hearts on top of each other lining up the edges.
- Pin on either side where the topstitching ends, along the openings, and down to the point.
- Topstitch with a 1/8″ seam allowance down the “V” attaching the two hearts together.
Now Find your favorite book and use your new heart bookmark!
Want more FUN DIY Freebies? Check out the FREEBIE TUTORIALS and the FREEBIE PATTERNS!
As always, we’re here to help if you need it! Join us HERE and on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Youtube, and Pinterest. We’re everywhere you are.
Leave a Reply