My daughter LOVES school and is eager to get back to her friends; and that means tons of back-to-school sewing!
Last year I made her mostly dresses and skorts (most of which still fit), so my plan is to round out her elementary school wardrobe with some basic staples: tees, tunics, and leggings!
5oo4 leggings are the best! So the pattern choice was easy: the Shenanigans Skort. Yes! I used the skort pattern to make leggings!
What I love about the Shenanigans:
- Quick, easy sew (with or without the skirt)
- Tons of options:
- three skirt lengths
- three waist rises
- six inseam lengths for shorts/leggings
- a flounce option
- separate skirt option
- separate leggings/shorts option
- skort = skirt + shorts
- two pocket choices
- Gusset piece (for comfort, structure, and breathability) and video tutorial for assembly (so, so easy)
- Super cute AND functional.
Since floral leggings seem to be EVERYWHERE, I ordered 2 yards of “Malibu,” which is a lovely brushed poly from Sincerely Rylee. When the shipment arrived my daughter wrapped herself in the fabric,”it’s sooooo soft! Can I have it?” Yes, love; it’s ALL yours! I immediately pulled out my swatch card and ordered a coordinating Ballet Pink cotton Lycra from Peek A Boo Fabric Shop to create the perfect top.
I decided to try a new-to-me 5oo4 pattern for the coordinating top: the Kids’ Easy Tee, Tunic and Dress. Talk about options!? Wow! It truly is a ‘one and done’ pattern (which saves time and money).
What I love about the Kids’ ‘Easy’ pattern:
- Unisex – it’s a great choice for boys and girls
- Quick, easy sew (I didn’t even need the tutorial to assemble the basic tee)
- Tons of options (I really wasn’t kidding – one and done):
- Five bodice styles
- Three neckline options (crew, v-neck, and hoodie)
- Five sleeve lengths
- Three sleeve finishes (hemmed, cuffed, and thumbhole cuffs)
- Pocket options
- Waist tie
- Super cute and functional
The tee-leggings combo is simply perfect for back to school wear – trendy yet functional!
Easy Tee: Size 7, curved hem option, crew neck, with hemmed short sleeves – perfect length for wearing with leggings!
Leggings: Size 7 (with 6 3/4″ added in length – she’s a tall one – although she does have a bit of growing room), full length leggings.
And 5oo4 back to school style doesn’t stop with tees and leggings! There are so many options, especially for the teens in your life!
There are so many choices and options available; I encourage you to revisit all the patterns at 5outof4 to fill those back to school capsules!
And be sure to leave a comment on this post telling us your favorite back-to-school or fall pattern for an opportunity to WIN a FREE pattern of choice. Giveaway will close and a winner chosen on Friday, August 11, 2017.
Happy back-to-school sewing!