I have A LOT of pillows. None of them match anything and most of them have been thrown around and mauled by my children in some way. The actual shape of them is still good, but their fabric needed to be upgraded. I’ve always been intimidated to sew pillow covers, but I thought I’d give it a shot and it was so quick and easy! I’ll show you how to cover your old pillows and give them a fresh new look!
Pillow Cover Materials:
- Square pillows (16″X16″, 18″18″, or 20″X20″)
- Fabric cut to size (See cut chart below)
Measure your pillow and cut out your fabric to the correct size per the cut chart above. The width of the fabric will be the same as the pillow to ensure that it will be snug around the pillow when finished and you won’t end up with a floppy pillowcase.
Sewing it up…
- Starting with one of the short ends, fold your fabric in 1″ with wrong sides together and press
- Fold over one more time to encase the raw edge and press
- Pin along the fold and sew close to the inside edge
- Repeat with the other short end
- Fold your fabric in half so the sewn ends meet to find the center and mark the middle point of the fabric
- Take one end and fold it towards the center point, this side should reach 3″ past the center mark
- Repeat with the other end, but this side should only reach 1″ past the center mark
- Pin along both open sides and sew with a 3/8″ seam allowance
- Turn your pillowcase right side out and stuff your pillow in
Cover one pillow or cover them all!
Now, go put those pillows all over your couches and beds and enjoy how pretty they look!
As always, we’re here to help if you need it! Join us HERE and on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Youtube, and Pinterest. We’re everywhere you are.
Leave a Reply