If you are looking for a quick and easy decoration to make for the holidays, you have found it! This adorable little gnome garland is so simple to make and is such a great decoration. You can also leave them on their own and set them around your house as little gnome friends!
- Toilet paper rolls
- Fiber-fil stuffing
- Hot glue gun
- Wood beads
- Twine or needle for stringing
- Take the toilet paper roll and cut it into 1″ pieces.
- Cut approximately 15-30 pieces of yarn 12″ long. The number will vary depending on the thickness of your yarn.
Making the Gnome Hats
- Fold one string of yarn in half creating a loop.
- Put the loop through the center of the toilet paper so the loop is up and the two ends are down.
- Pull the two ends up and pull them through the loop.
- Repeat all the way around the toilet paper roll with all of the yarn strings.
- Make sure all ends of the yarn are pushed straight up.
- Cut one more piece of yarn and slide it under the ends of the yarn that are pushed up.
- Tie the yarn ends in a double knot just above the loop knots on the toilet paper tube.
- Cut off the strings to be the same length as the rest.
- Hold the little hat upside down and trim all of the strings to the same length to make a fluffy little pom pom for your gnome hat.
Stuffing the Hat and Making a Pom Pom
- Take a small amount of fiber-fil stuffing and put it inside the hat.
- Using white yarn, make a small pom pom for your gnome beard.
- There are many ways to make a pom pom, you can see one method of wrapping the yarn around your hand in a previous blog post HERE.
- Repeat all steps for making hats and pom poms for all of your little gnome friends.
Glue and String
- Now that you have all of your gnome hats and pom pom beards ready, heat up your hot glue gun and run a ring of glue around the inside edge of the hat.
- Set the hat on top of your pom pom holding it in place until the glue is dry.
- Place a wood bead just between the hat and pom pom.
- With a dot of hot glue, attach the wood bead in place.
- If you want to just have little gnomes around your house, you can stop here and set them all around. If you want to make them a garland, continue on!
- Thread your twine or string through an embroidery needle.
- Insert the needle through one side of the gnome’s hat just below the loop knots, pushing it through the other side directly across.
- Repeat the same until all of your gnomes are strung on the twine.
Hang up your cute gnome garland over a fireplace, across a window, or on your tree, and admire how cute they are!