Somehow, I can never find my sewing needles. I have a magnetic pin holder for my regular straight pins, but anytime I put my sewing needles in there I have to dig to find them. I really have no idea where they all go. To help myself be able to find easily find my sewing needles, I decided to make a cute little book just for them.
- Woven fabric or felt for the cover
- Felt for the pages
- 2″-3″ piece of thin elastic
- Basic sewing supplies
- Fusible interfacing
- Sewing machine
- Embroidery needle and thread
- Other items to decorate and make it pretty
Cut out the Pieces
- (2) 5″X8″ pieces of woven fabric or fleece -1 main and 1 lining
- (2-3) 4″X6.5″ -You can have as many pages as you’d like. I originally made 3, but only used 2.
- Needle Holders:
- 3/8″X 2.5″ (1-2 per page front and back)
- Optional Interfacing:
- (1) 4.5″X7.5″
- Thin Elastic:(1) 2″-3″ piece
Make the Cover
- If you are using fusible interfacing, iron it onto the back side of your outer piece of fabric.
- My fabric was on the thin side so I chose to use interfacing. I did not use it on the one I made out of all felt.
- Fold your elastic to make a loop and center it along one short side of your fabric and pin it with the loop facing inward and the ends sticking out over the edge of the fabric.
- Note: The elastic should be on the back page of the cover when turned right side out. If you are using a directional print, make sure everything is facing the correct way.
- Pin around the rest of your fabric leaving a 2″ section open for turning.
- Sew around the edges using a 1/4″ seam allowance. Make sure to go over the elastic several times and backstitch at the beginning and end of the opening.
- Trim off the corners.
- Pull the fabric through the opening and push out the corners.
- Turn the edges of the opening in and press. Press the rest of the cover as well.
- Pin the opening together then use a ladder stitch to sew it closed.
- If you’re not sure how to do a ladder stitch, you can find a sewing school video for that HERE.
- Fold the cover in half and press to create the seam.
Finish the Pages
- Fold each of your pages in half and press along the fold to mark the center.
- Pin each of your needle holder strips to each page.
- You can do 1 or 2 strips per page and on just one side or both. It’s up to you and what you think you’ll need.
- Sew across the length of each strip down the center. If you have a strip on each side, make sure they are lined up so you can just sew one line to attach them both.
Put it all Together
- Line up the center “seams” of your cover and all of your pages and pin down the crease.
- Sew a straight line through all of the layers down the center crease.
- Sew the button onto the front cover.
- Store all of your sewing needles.
- You can embellish your little book as much or as little as you’d like.
- I used my vinyl cutter to make a needle and thread for one and also chose to use embroidery thread to sew a blanket stitch around the outer edges of the cover.
- If you like the look of the blanket stitch, there are instructions on how to do that in a previous blog post you can find HERE. There are also many videos you can find if that’s easier for you.