Every year I try to add a couple of handmade decorations to my holiday decor. My youngest daughter decided to bring in a pile of sticks the other day for a craft and then quickly forgot about them and left them sitting on my counter. I thought they would make good flag sticks and give them a rustic look so I commandeered them.
- Patriotic fabric or fabric in those colors
- Sewing machine and basic sewing supplies
- Hot glue gun
- Optional: Ribbon
Cut Your Fabric
- Main flag piece: cut 1: 14″x4.5″
- Corner flag piece: cut 1: 7″x2.5″
If your fabric isn’t long enough to cut one long piece of each, you can cut them to half the length plus a little extra for the seam allowance.
Prep Your Pieces
- Iron all of your pieces.
- Fold each in half vertically and press to mark the center.
- If you cut two shorter pieces for each, lay the two rectangles right sides together and pin along one of the short sides.
- Sew down the pinned side.
- Fold in half at the seam wrong sides together and press.
Sew Them Together
- Lay out the main and corner flag pieces right sides up.
- Set the corner piece on top of the main piece lining up their center points.
- Pin around the edges of the corner piece.
- Sew around the perimeter of the corner piece with a 1/4″ seam allowance then down the center.
Time to Make it Look Like a Flag
- Open the fabric so the wrong side is up and grab your stick.
- Run a line of hot glue down the center and place the stick on it.
- If you want to add a bow on the top later, have the top of the sick hang out above the top of the flag a bit.
- Fold the flag around the stick as the glue is drying.
- At the top and bottom of the flag, put a dot of hot glue next to the stick and pinch both sides of the flag together until the glue is dried.
Finish Your Flag
- Pin around the 3 sides of the flag, then sew with a 1/4″ seam allowance.
- Sew a vertical line as close to the stick as your sewing machine will let you get.
- Optional: Tie and/or glue a ribbon bow on the top of the stick.
- Make more flags to go along with it.
Decorate your house with those cute flags!
If you like the festive wreath in the background, you can find the tutorial for that HERE!