My daughters informed me that we don’t have any St. Patrick’s Day decorations at our house and I needed to do something about it. I searched my house for any type of green craft supplies and came up with some felt and fleece to create a quick and easy shamrock.
- Green felt or fleece
- Needle and thread
- Optional supplies for making a leaf template:
Making yourself a template for the leaves is optional. You can make them any size you like but I’ll show the measurements that I used for reference. Or you can get crazy and just cut them freehand.
- Draw a quadrilateral that is slightly narrower at that bottom than the top. Mine is 1.5″ at the bottom, 2″ at the top, and 2″ tall.
- Draw two rounded bumps at the top.
- Cut it out, then fold it in half vertically and trim around any edges so that both sides are the same.
Cut the Leaves
- Use your template (or go freehand) and cut 4 leaves for each shamrock you are making.
- Take your needle and thread and weave it in and out along the bottom edge of the first leaf.
- Continue weaving the needle and thread along the other 3 leaves until all 4 of them are threaded on.
- Pull the thread to gather the bottom edges and pull them all together.
- Once the bottom edge is gathered, insert the needle into the starting place of the first leaf and pull the thread to close the center.
- Once the center is closed, sew the gathered section securely with several stitches.