Fall is my favorite time of year and I just can’t get enough fall decorations! I made a garland for my fireplace from felt and it is so cute! I’ll show you how to make this easy decoration for your house.
- Pumpkin and leaf templates you can download HERE (or you can draw your own)
- Felt in fall colors
- Coordinating embroidery floss and embroidery needle
- Twine or string for stems/hangers
- Baker’s twine or jute string for a hanging line
- Mini clothespins (you can find in most craft sections)
Cut out your pieces:
Using your variety of fall colors, cut out your leaf and pumpkin shapes using your templates. Each leaf will need two pieces for both the front and back. Each pumpkin wil need the middle, two sides, and stem for both sides of the pumpkin so you will cut two of each piece as mirrored images.
- On each leaf, use an air soluble pen to draw on any details you want to add
- Using coordinating embroidery floss and embroidery needle, follow your lines to sew on the details
- You can repeat the same detailing on the backside of each leaf as well if you’d like
- Stack your two leaf pieces wrong sides together and sew around the outside edge using a whip stitch. Leave a small hole at the top to add the stuffing and hanger
- Stick in a small amount of stuffing to give it a little dimension
- Cut a small piece of jute or string and make a loop for the stem/hanger
- Insert the raw ends inside with the loop out
- Finish sewing around the outside edge
- Overlap the larger center piece on top of each of the side pieces and pin in place
- Sew along each of the sides edges of the center to connect the sides
- Repeat with the back sections
- Sew both sides of the stem together and add any details with your air soluble marker and embroidery floss
- Continue with the same steps as the leaves to stitch them together
- When you put the stem in, tuck the loop behind it and finish your stitching
You’re ready to hang them all up!
Use your baker’s twine or string to make a clothesline. Hang each leaf and pumpkin using your mini clothespins and enjoy your beautiful fall decorations!
As always, we’re here to help if you need it! Join us HERE and on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Youtube, and Pinterest. We’re everywhere you are.
Leave a Reply