Have you made fun placemats for the holidays? How about matching placemats for your pets? The pet placemat is a fun and quick project that will bring some cheer to your pet’s food station. We always have some sort of mat under our dog’s dishes just to catch any water droplets or food crumbs that he spills. Then, I realized that a matching placemat would be adorable. So, of course, I had to make one! I made this to be reversible so you’ll get two mats in one!
This was made with scrap quilting cotton that I had leftover from making Christmas jammies and some home décor fabric. I was looking for a waterproof layer just to protect my floors from any major spills, but they were out of it at my local fabric store. I think that the home décor fabric will be enough to block most of the spills from getting on the floor. You could use a table cloth vinyl or a PUL if you really want this to be waterproof! That is all you need for this project!
I chose to make my pet placemat in the shape of a dog bone because I think it’s cute! You could do any shape that you want! It could be a circle, rectangle, fish, bird, etc. This is a great project to get creative! If you want to use the dog bone shape, you can get the pattern here:
The dog bone pattern is cut on a double fold so that there aren’t any seams going through the middle. You could also cut multiple pieces if you don’t mind a seam in the middle.
- Start by folding your fabric lengthwise
- Fold it again width wise so that you have a double fold (like when making a circle skirt)
- Put your pattern on the fabric so that the “fold” markings are on the folds of the fabric
- Cut around your pattern
- When you unfold it, it will be in the shape of dog bone!
- Do the same thing over again with your second piece of fabric
- You should now have two dog bones
- Place the two fabric pieces right sides together and clip/pin around the edges
- Leave a gap on one of the straight areas unsewn. This is how you’ll turn it right sides out
- Sew all around the edges-be sure to leave the gap unsewn!
- Clip your corners and your curves so that the placemat lays flat when turned right sides out
- Turn your place mat right sides out
- Give it a good press
- Top Stitch all around the edges, this will close up that gap
That’s it! You now have a wonderful, reversible pet placemat! Quick and easy, right?
Want more FUN DIY Freebies? Check out the FREEBIE TUTORIALS and the FREEBIE PATTERNS!
As always, we’re here to help if you need it! Join us HERE and on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Youtube, and Pinterest. We’re everywhere you are.
Michele Creese says
Just to say thank you very much for the free pattern and tutorial – my dogs are going to love them.
Some sites offer free patterns and tutorials but there is always a whole process to access them so your easy access is much appreciated.
Michele Creese (Cape Town, South Africa)
This is a really cute pattern, thank you. Any chance you will be doing something for cats as well?
Thank you!It is lovely.
Iris Kahn says
Love the pattern. I was wondering if I add a batting between the 2 fabrics how would I put the sandwich together?
I am planning on making this.
Iris: Put the fabric pieces right sides together, then put the batting on top of that. Sew 1/4″ all around, leave an opening, clip the curves with “v’s” and clip into corners; turn right side out. Press and top stitch 1/4″ all around.
OR, just use a Mainstay hand towel from Walmart. Put fabric and towel right sides together and stitch like above.
Thanks so much for the pattern. I hope to make it this weekend.
Jocelyn Ozan says
How come you don’t put a thin layer of batting to absorb some water spills for messy drinkers?
Laura ONeal says
You, certainly can, if you want more absorbancy.