These coffee mug sleeves are a great way to fancy up your coffee mug and save your hands! They’re a great scrap buster and are easily customizable to make a fun gift or just to match your favorite coffee mug! Use the included downloadable template then follow along to make your own cute coffee mug sleeves!
- Downloaded coffee mug sleeve template:
- Woven fabric
- Fusible fleece or fusible interfacing
- Thin elastic or hair elastic
Cut out your pieces:
There are 2 sizes of sleeve templates to choose from. The shorter and wider one fits best of travel to-go cups, and the longer, thinner one fits best on coffee mugs to fit through the handle more easily. Choose which size you want to make, or make both! For each cup sleeve you will need:
- 2 woven fabric pieces cut from the template (CUT ON THE FOLD)
- 1 interfacing piece cut 1/4″ smaller than the template on all sides (CUT ON THE FOLD)
- 4″ piece of thin elastic (or a hair elastic)
*I used fusible fleece for my cup sleeves to give it a little add heat protection, but regular fusible interfacing is good here too.
Put it all together!
- Iron the interfacing onto the wrong side of the outer piece (main fabric)
- Put both pieces right sides together and pin around both long sides and one short side leaving one short end open
- Sew around pinned sides with a 1/4″ seam allowance and clip the 2 corners on the closed end
- Turn right sides out, push out the corners, and press
- Fold in raw edge op the open end and press, hold in place with pins
- Fold your elastic into a loop (or use your hair elastic) and insert into the open end with the loop out and pin
- Sew over the open end with a 1/4″ seam allowance going over the elastic several times to reinforce it
- Continue to topstitch around the other three sides with a 1/4″ seam allowance
All that’s left to do is hand sew on your button(s)! For the larger one I put it 1 1/2″ in from the end. For the smaller ones, I did one 2″ from the edge and one 1″ from the edge. I have a variety of sizes of coffee mugs so I put two on to be able to adjust the size.